Are you aware about spams?
Do you get spam mails daily?
Do you think that you are the target?
At the age of IT revolution, Everyone is hooked with the internet for Mails, Entertainment, Information, Shopping, Business, Marketing, E-Tickets, Blogging and many more. Even one who doesn't use a computer accesses internet in many ways like Banking, ATM, Shopping with Credit/Debit Card, Mobile, Phone Calls, SMS (know how to send free sms upto 400 characters).
The cyber crimes are increasing day by day.The cyber war is also called the World War III. The hackers, fraudsters and criminals keep an eye on the personal details like passwords, address, email id, phone numbers etc.
The whats, whys and hows of Spams :
What is a spam mail? Spam is simply unsolicited email that urge you to buy some product or may have an special offer for you, say that you’ve won a Lottery, so on. These mails invariably contain a link to a supposed online store (fraudulent website) that will ask you to enter your personal information and password or a credit card number for an online payment. There are a few innocent people who get end up getting attacked by the hackers. you need to simply delete these mails. About half of your inbox is usually filled with spam mails.
What's the harm form spams?
Spammers have started to make money from sharing someones details with hackers. Phishers send thousands of malicious mails every minute. By the various methods of spamming Phishers send and installs Trojan horses on unsuspected computer systems. Then the infected system gets in control of the phishers. Then the phishers use the contact book and sends the spam mails, this makes it difficult to distinguish the spam and regular mail, because the spam will be sent from a known email address.
How to protect your PC from spam emails? 12ways
1) The most popular email hosts like Hotmail and Gmail have sophisticated spam filters. Which filter the spams and keep them into folder name junk or spam. They use the keywords, address and attachments to scan and filter the spams. I recommend you to use Hotmail/Livemail as your primary mail.
2) Don't click on the links given in the mails asking to click. Instead copy or type the address manually if necessary. The link seems regular but actually may lead to phishing sites.
3) Install a spam protection software which comes bundled with many popular anti viruses. Make sure that they are automatically updated. They will support spam blocking and will scan all major email clients like outlook, Netscape and more. But I advice you to use web based email client.
McAfee Internet Security Suite consists of a spam killer. However you can also use tools that are made only for blocking spams and phishing.
Cloudmark Anti-Fraud is a good anti phishing tool. Download Cloudmark AntiSpam Solutions, supporting major email clients like Live Mail, Outlook, Outlook express, and Thunderbird.
4) Don't open any attachment from the unknown senders. Recently a spam containg virus with a PDF attachment infected many systems.
5) Disable HTML viewing option in your email client.
6) Don't fill any embedded form in the emails like any submission forms.
7) Read the privacy statements and licensing agreements of the websites you use. Find out if these websites shares the personal details like email id or not? Some websites sell these information to marketing sites.
8) Don't use the same email id, which you also use for sending emails, for logging in forums, news channels and social networking sites like orkut, facebook, twitter, batchmates etc.
9) Same thing happens with our mobile networks. Make sure to get your mobile number registered in National Do Not Disturb registry to get rid of annoying sms and recorded calls, and keep the reference number safe. If they send any sms or call you for any kind of offer, you can complain to TRAI or Consumer Forum with details.
10) The most important thing is never publish your email id in webpages, blogs, comments or any social networking sites. Because Robots can crawl the webpages and store the email id in the databases. Which then will be used for spamming.
To know if your email address is published anywhere, make a Google or bing search with the your email id as a search query. If you find the particular page, either remove the link yourself or request the webmaster.
11) However if you still reqire to publish your email address on a web page, Use image instead of text to show the address. The image may be created with any image editor like Photoshop, Coral Draw or simply by paint brush.
or use "[at]" instead of "@" sign to bypass the robots.
click on the image to use the link.
Still this kind of link is vulnerable! because the HTML link may be crawled by robots.
So try to avoid link
eg <a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org">image or text</a> as in above example.
12) Do you want the links on your pages and still secure your email address?
Replace some characters from the link "mailto:email@example.com" with equivalent html code.
Now i am taking an example of an email id firstname.lastname@example.org
a = a
b = b
c = c
d = d
e = e
f = f and so on...
If you want to replace the 3 letters "a" with it's equivalent html code, you can use as following:
<a href="mailto:email@example.com">Click here to send me an email</a>
eg. Click here to send me an email
The web browser will end up interpreting the a as a letter "a" and you get the desired result. But this will confuse the email harvesting programs and robots :) You can replace all the characters of the email giving the bots no clue. This is a kind of making the robots fool, I posted a similar article "How to fool pen drive virus?", perhaps you may like to read.
SPAM is a brand of luncheon meat that was rationed to British soldiers in World War II
This post is a result of my juggling with computers for about three years. I hope this helps you much to avoid spam mails. If you follow all the steps, you will see the significant result. Do share your views about the post and your experience with spams & spammers. If you have any other idea please share with us.
CoolHotmail Choose Custom Personalized Email IDs Which Reflect Your Personality
Auto Sort Email into Folders | Windows Live Hotmail