Google's Virtual Keyboard in 35 Languages After Transliteration IME

By Shekhar Sahu on

01 May, 2010  at 10:40 PM

Filed Under: , , , , , , , ,

Google Launched Multilingual Virtual Keyboard

Google Virtual Keyboard in Hindi
Sometimes I go to cyber cafe and the internet surfing zone of my college library. I often complain about the broken keyboard. So i used to carry my virtual keyboard in my pen drive, despite of  a keyboard  provided by Windows OS. This also helps me to keep myself safe from password theft. Oh yes keyloggers (software & hardware) can read your every keystroke.
Out of my fascination Search Giant, I think now Web Giant Google launched Virtual Keyboard in more than 35 languages. Users can now input their search queries in their regional language. However last year Google launched Transliteration Input Method Editor [IME], by this small nifty tool users were able to  type in their regional languages without any typing knowledge.

To use this tool go to Google search home page in your regional language. Beside the search querry field, you will find this icon Virtual Keyboard Icon By clicking this keyboard icon a virtual AJAX keyboard will pop up. Now you can enter your queries with this multilingual keyboard.

Google Virtual Keyboard in regional language search query

However If your language in not currently included in the list. There is no need to disappoint, as Google promised to increase the no of language supported and you  can also vote [click here] for your language.

The Languages Supported are:
 Albanian, Hindi, Arabic, Armenian, Basque, Belarusian, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Finnish, Galician, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Icelandic, Kazakh, Kirghiz, Macedonian, Malayalam, Mongolian, Persian, Polish, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Tatar, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Uzbek

Google knows the pulses of it's users, knows about every problem users face. This was one of the biggest trouble for users, as in India we use the Roman English keyboard. More than half of Indian population is ignorant of English, unable to  enter proper search query. And also they are not able to type in Hindi. So I find it very useful for people, especially the villagers.
What do you say?

Shekhar Sahu

Google's HTML5 Animated Logo, Best Doodle Ever

16 comments for this post

Its difficult to type in Hindi. I tried many times :)

Posted on May 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM

If keyboard is difficult you can use transliteration IME.

Posted on May 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Virtual keyboard is always good to keep save. Thanks for sharing this useful info.

Posted on May 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I remember trying the bookmarklet for this when it came out. However, found ILIT tool by Microsoft to be better than this (at least for Bengali). So I use that.

Posted on May 3, 2010 at 4:13 PM

If i need then i use only transliteration IME by google and some other.

Posted on May 3, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Very useful one.

Posted on May 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Cool! Can't wait till they integrate this feature to my language! :D

Posted on May 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Helpful for those people around the world who are ignorant of english.Thanks for sharing.

Posted on May 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I do not think this work while we can not type it, this will slow down our work too

Posted on May 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Google's linguistics web services are usually top notch and the recent addition of a 35 language virtual keyboard only make things even better.

Posted on May 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM

@Pabudu If you start voting we too, then your language will also be included.

Posted on May 8, 2010 at 4:47 AM

@David How if the content is also in the other language. Now it'd be same as domain.

Posted on May 8, 2010 at 4:51 AM

@Tech Chunks
There are several linguistic features from Google only.

Posted on May 8, 2010 at 4:53 AM

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Montana